Whole milk – 2 ¼ cups, divided
Granulated sugar – ½ cup
Cornstarch – 4 Tbsp
Cardamom, ground – ½ tsp
Rosewater – 2 tsp
Pistachios, finely chopped— 2 tbsp
Pistachio, coarsely chopped – 4 tbsp
Rose petals – for garnish, optional
Ramekins/individual serving bowls
- Add 2 cups milk to a small, heavy bottomed saucepan and heat over a low setting.
- Meanwhile, prepare cornstarch slurry by mixing the half cup of milk with the 4 Tbsp of cornstarch. Mix well so no lumps remain, and it has a smooth consistency.
- When the milk that is being heated starts to come to a boil, reduce to simmer and add sugar, cardamom, 2 tbsp of pistachio and rose water. Stir to mix.
- Then add the cornstarch slurry and stir with a continuous motion as it thickens and reaches a porridge like consistency. This should take only a few minutes.
- Remove pan from stove and spoon into ramekins or individual serving bowls. Makes 4 – 6 servings.
- Refrigerate and serve cold with the remaining pistachios and rose petals (if using) as garnish.
Notes and Instructions
Recipe and photo credit: Vinola V. Munyon