Pineapple Walnut Bread
All-purpose flour–2 ½ cups
Bran–1 cup (substitute: fine ground oats)
Baking powder–1 T
Baking soda –1 tsp.
Salt – 1 tsp.
Walnuts, toasted – ¼ cup
Sugar – 4 T (optional, the traditional recipe does not use sugar but I added just 4 T to bring out the flavor of the pineapple)
Eggs – 2
Crushed pineapple –1 cup (used with juice)
Melted butter – ¼ cup (optional, traditional recipe does not use butter but I added it as the batter was too dry without)
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Grease a bread pan and set aside.
- Sift all dry ingredients including sugar, if using, and mix together.
- Beat the eggs in another bowl.
- Add the crushed pineapple and vanilla to the eggs.
- Mix in the melted butter, if using.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or so until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Serve warm with butter. (The flavor intensifies the day after so leftovers are even better!)
Notes and Instructions
Recipe and photo credit: Vinola Munyon