Tandoori Prawns (Shrimp)
Shrimp, peeled and deveined – 1 lb (about 20—24, large sized)
Bell peppers – 2 (1 each of a different color), cubed
Onion – 1 large, cubed
Lemon – 1, quartered
Fresh Ginger – 2” knob
Garlic – 6 cloves
Plain yogurt (Greek preferred)– ½ cup
Turmeric powder— ½ tsp + ½ tsp, divided
Cumin powder – 1 tbs
Coriander powder– ½ tbs
Cayenne powder– ½ tsp
Clove powder – ½ tsp
Cinnamon powder – ½ tsp
Ground Black pepper — ½ tsp
Fresh cilantro, washed, destemmed and finely diced – ½ cup
Salt – to taste
Blender or mortar pestle
- Soak Bamboo skewers. This prevents them from catching fire on the grill or in the oven.
- Add salt and ½ tsp turmeric to a bowl of water and rinse the shrimp.
- Pat shrimp dry.
- Make a ginger-garlic paste by pounding both together in the mortar pestle or by blending in a blender. Do not make it a fine paste, keep the consistency a little coarse and chunky.
- Prepare marinade by adding the ginger-garlic paste and all the other ingredients listed under “marinade.”
- Marinate the shrimp in the marinade for a minimum of 30 minutes. Can be allowed to marinate overnight. Must be kept in refrigerator.
- Fire up the grill to high heat or preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Thread the marinated shrimp alternating with peppers and onions.
- The shrimp is done on the grill (10 minutes or so) when it turns opaque and is slightly charred.
- For oven, bake for 10 – 15 minutes, then turn setting on broil and broil (on middle rack) for less than 5 minutes to get a char. Note that ovens have different heat intensity and shrimp cooks quickly, so check halfway into cook time to prevent burning.
- Have with a light summery salad.
- Wrap it: requires naan and tzatziki. Take grilled shrimp, peppers and onions off the skewer and wrap in naan with a good drizzle of tzatziki.
- Serve over rice pilaf with tzatziki.
Notes and Instructions
Note: Image is of skewers pre-grilling. The grilled skewers disappeared before your recipe curator could take a picture!
Recipe and photo credit: Vinola V. Munyon