Ugandan Potato and Egg Roll
Eggs – 6 hard boiled eggs + 1
Potatoes, boiled – 4 large
Onion – ½, finely diced
Cilantro or parsley – ½ bunch
Turmeric – ½ tsp
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Chili powder – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Breadcrumbs – 1 ½ cups
Vegetable oil – 2 cups
2 shallow bowls
- To prepare hard boiled eggs, bring water in a pot to a rolling boil. Add 6 eggs and reduce the flame to medium. After 10 minutes, remove pot from the stove and add ice to stop the eggs from cooking further.
- Once the eggs are cool, peel and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and allow to cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Once cool, peel the potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes until fine and smooth.
- Add the seasonings: turmeric, cumin, chili and salt to the mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Add the finely diced onion and cilantro/parsley and mix well.
- Beat the 1 egg and set aside in a bowl
- In another bowl, place the breadcrumbs
- Take a scoop of the spiced mashed potato and make a patty. Take a boiled egg and wrap the mashed potato around it such that the boiled egg is entirely covered and encased in the spiced mashed potato.
- Dip the mashed potato wrapped egg in the beaten egg and then coat with the breadcrumbs. Repeat with all 6 eggs.
- Bring a pot of oil to high heat. Carefully add the “rolled eggs” to the oil. Fry until golden brown.
- Using a slotted spoon remove and set on paper towels to drain.
- Serve hot.
Notes and Instructions
Recipe and photo credit: Vinola V. Munyon