DFW Statement on Coronavirus Outbreak
Dining for Women has been closely monitoring the coronavirus outbreak here in the U.S. and globally, and we are following the guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO). In everything we do, our top priority is the health and safety of you, our members, our staff, family members, and communities.
We know that you may have questions about holding your monthly chapter meetings. While this decision must be made by each chapter and each individual, based on local and personal situations, we would like to offer the following guidance:
- Be aware of the current situation in your local community. We strongly recommend that you rely on information from the CDC and your local public health authorities, and that you follow whatever guidance they are providing to your specific community.
- Respect the individual needs of your chapter members. According to the CDC website, some people are at higher risk of getting very sick from this illness. This includes older adults and people with a serious chronic medical condition such as heart or lung disease and diabetes.
- Some suggestions for holding your chapter meetings:
- – Ask members to stay at home if they are feeling ill or if someone in their household is ill.
- – Consider eliminating food at your meetings to reduce the risk.
- – Encourage frequent hand washing — for at least 20 seconds — before, during, and after your meetings. If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- – Discourage handshakes and hugs. Be creative about the new and different ways you can greet each other while minimizing any risk!
- Please continue to support DFW! Women and girls still need your support, perhaps now more than ever! DFW relies on your chapter donations to fund all of our programs and our organization as a whole. If you typically give at your chapter meetings and are unable to attend, there are other ways to support DFW:
- – Donate online by credit card. It’s easy – just click on the Donations page of our website.
- – Sign up for automatic monthly giving. If you have not already, this may be a great time to sign up for automatic monthly donations and ensure DFW has a predictable, sustainable source of income. Click here and follow the instructions to sign up!
Just a reminder that all of our monthly educational resources are available online. If you are unable to attend your chapter meeting, please watch the video and/or check out the Project Fact Sheet on our website. FYI, here are some quick and easy links to our March Featured Project with WINGS in Guatemala:
As you know, this situation is changing rapidly. DFW is following the regular updates and guidelines recommended by the CDC and the WHO. There are several online resources that you may find helpful, including:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
World Health Organization
Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center – interactive, world map showing coronavirus cases
We all have an important part to play in limiting the spread of this virus – for our own safety and that of our community. Thank you for doing your part and I hope you stay healthy and well!
Beth Ellen Holimon
DFW President & CEO